Center for Community Engagement Internship Award
The Center for Community Engagement 2022 Summer Internship Award
The “Center for Community Engagement Internship Award”: https://ucla.academicworks.com/admin/opportunities/29208 offers $5,000 scholarships to increase student access to experiential learning, support career preparation, and help offset potential financial hardships associated with a summer unpaid internship.
In order to be eligible for the award, UCLA students must meet all of the following qualifications:
- Be a current degree-seeking UCLA undergraduate student in good academic standing with at least 90 units
- Be eligible to enroll in a 4-unit departmental 195CE internship course during Summer 2022 (and be available for 8-10 hours of internship work/week)
- Must have secured, or be in the process of securing, an unpaid internship in a nonprofit organization, governmental agency, or social enterprise during the summer 2022.
- Must demonstrate the impact of the scholarship award, including financial need.
- Provide a letter from their internship employer confirming the internship offer if granted an award
You do not need an internship offer to apply to funding; you just need to have applied to the internship. Please review all information below before starting your application. The application asks for:
- Detailed information about your top-choice internship, including an attachment of a position or job description (If you are awarded funding and decide to intern at an organization different from what you detailed in your application, you will be asked to submit an updated scholarship application). The committee will review your updated application and decide to award the scholarship or withdraw funding.
- Short answers to the following questions:
Why have you chosen to pursue an internship at this particular organization?
How does your internship relate to your career and/or academic interests?
What are your goals for this particular internship experience and the 195CE internship course? What do you hope to learn?
Please provide reasons for pursuing internship funding, and information about your financial need.
Awardee responsibilities include:
- All scholarship recipients are required to complete a departmental 195CE internship course during the quarter the internship occurs. They must fulfill the terms of the 195CE contract successfully.
- Recipients of internship scholarships are required to submit a short post-internship reflection of their experience along with a short video and photo. The reflection will address how the internship helped you grow and how it affected your career trajectory.
- Students who receive awards from donor-funded scholarships will be asked to write a thank-you note to the award benefactor.
- Award recipients may also be invited to participate in Center for Community Engagement events or programs during the academic year in order to share about their summer internship experiences.
The materials submitted will be used as testimonials for fundraising purposes.
Complete the general application and then review the supplemental questions for the scholarship! To learn more and to apply, please visit the UCLA Financial Aid and Scholarships Undergraduate Scholarships Application.
If you have questions about the process or this application, please contact UCLA Center for Community Engagement Associate Director, Bemmy Maharramli.
- Supplemental Questions
- Why have you chosen to pursue an internship at this particular organization?
- Please share the remote internship details and describe how your internship relates to your career and/or academic interests.
- Describe your remote internship, your role and responsibilities, and how many hours you will be working
- How did you find your internship?
- How will this internship contribute to your academic, professional, and personal goals? Include any specific research or fieldwork interest you may have.
- Please provide the physical address of your internship site, but please note that all 195CE internships must be remote work for Summer 2021.
- Please upload an attachment of the position or internship job description.
- What is the length of the internship? It must be at least 10 weeks over Summer Session A, 10 weeks (June 21 - August 27, 2021)
- What are your goals for this particular internship experience and the 195CE internship course? What do you hope to learn? Please feel free to use bullet points.
- Please provide reasons for pursuing internship funding, and information about your financial need.
- Please upload your resume.