Lambda Alumni Association Community Service Award
The Lambda Alumni Association Community Service Award was established by the UCLA Lambda Alumni Association to support any UCLA continuing student who has provided documented leadership and service to the LGBTQ+ community during the years of their current degree. This can include making a positive and lasting impact on campus, in the local community, in their hometown, and beyond.
Award candidates come from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, but are universally defined by their experience or desire to serve the LGBTQ+ communities. Awards will be given in consideration of:
- Demonstrated measurable leadership or specific aspirations and plans to improve the conditions for LGBTQ+ individuals.
- Contributing member of the LGBTQ+ communities. Membership in the LGBTQ+ communities will be based on self-identification.
- Demonstrated financial need, as determined by UCLA Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Finalists must be available for interview on Sunday, November 15, 2020.
This is not a merit-based scholarship. LGBTQ+ BIPOC and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Requires full-time enrollment and good academic standing.
Optional sections of the general application that are required for this scholarship and require specific examples from within the community:
- Extracurriculars (Please include Leadership, Volunteer, Work, and Community Service Activities) Tip: Please focus on activities of which you are passionate.
- Honors and Awards
If awarded, Lambda hopes the scholar is willing, if possible, to volunteer at/support/attend at least one Lambda event in each quarter of the 2020-21 academic school year. Given the restrictions the current COVID-19 pandemic limits our ability to host live events, participation will be in a virtual space until further notice. Tasks could range from clerical support, technical support during a virtual meeting, event or webinar, or anything else that matches the skill set of the scholar. If a scholar holds an interest in developing a specific professional skill, the Student Support Committee will match volunteer activities or mentors to that interest. The Student Support Committee welcomes any input from our scholars in order to help them increase their professional and personal networks.
If you would like further information regarding UCLA Lambda (LGBTQ+) Alumni Student Support and this exciting new scholarship opportunity, please contact Co-Chairs Jade Elyssa Rivera ‘19 (email@example.com) or Steven Llanusa ‘85 (firstname.lastname@example.org). An application workshop will be held on Monday, October 12, from 4-6PM pacific. A link to the video of the workshop will be available within 2-3 business days on the website above.